The Church Of The Transfiguration
The original Church of the Transfiguration was a temporary wooden structure built in 1911 as a daughter church for the parish of St Peter, Parkstone. It was known locally as “The Church in the Glen”. The area became what is known as a “Conventional District” in 1945. The parish is now part of the Deanery of Poole and North Bournemouth in the Archdeaconery of Dorset, within the Diocese of Salisbury. A church room for Sunday School and parish activities was added in 1960, built in Purbeck stone with a copper ply roof.
The foundations for the current stone building – designed by local architect Lionel Gregory – were laid in November 1962. It was decided to retain the supporting roof beams of the original church, and reconstruct a new church around them. The total cost of the church, garden and car park was £54,550. The church was consecrated as the parish church by the Bishop of Salisbury, Dr Joseph Fison, on 26th May 1965. Whilst distinctive and modern externally, it retains a traditional pattern inside. Its plain glass allows the beauty of its setting to be a part of its charm. It is generally regarded as one of the most attractive church sites in the locality.
In November 1998, a project to replace the plain West Window of our church with an etched engraving depicting the event of the Transfiguration narrative was completed. This was commissioned from Miss Sally Scott (Cert RA Schools) who is one of our country’s leading artists in this field. It provides a stunning addition to our building internally, as well as providing a very visible witness to those who can view it from the road.
The parish church lies close to the southern boundary of the wooded church grounds which have been enhanced to provide a new Garden of Remembrance with money raised from our Millennium Appeal. The entrance to the church is reached by stone steps to an entrance porch through swing doors at either end of the porch. There is a small car park below the entrance to the church and a larger car park to the east side of the church.
The Chapel Of St Nicolas
The first chapel of St Nicolas – positioned in Panorama Road at the Sandbanks end of the parish – was also a wooden structure built on land purchased from the Harbour Board in 1930. In 1982 it was decided to replace it with the present chapel – again designed by Lionel Gregory – together with the addition of two bungalows.
This small chapel – which only seats about 30 people – has a weekly service of Holy Communion on Wednesdays at 10.30 a.m.